- Category: FROS
- Published on Saturday, 22 October 2011 13:42
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 2649
HIGH-DOSE RATE (HDR) BRACHYTHERAPY
High-Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy at FROS Radiation Oncology
The physicians at FROS have extensive training and experience in high-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy. High dose rate (HDR) is a technically advanced form of brachytherapy. A high intensity radiation source is delivered with millimeter precision under computer guidance directly into the tumor killing it from the inside out while avoiding injury to surrounding normal healthy tissue.
- Because cancer often affects organs that are essential to daily functioning, it is important for radiation treatment to be tightly focused on tumors to avoid serious side effects.
- Before each HDR brachytherapy treatment, we check the position of the catheters with millimeter precision.During treatment, our doctors insert tiny, hollow catheters directly into tumors to deliver a precise, three-dimensional dose of radiation.
- Next, a series of radioactive pellets are inserted into each catheter. Computer guidance controls how far the pellet goes into the catheter and how long the pellet stays in the catheter to release its radiation dose.
- With HDR brachytherapy, the implant is removed from the body after each treatment.
With a few well-placed catheters, HDR brachytherapy can provide a very precise treatment for cancer in just a few minutes.
The fundamental features of brachytherapy translate into tangible benefits for patients and healthcare services. Brachytherapy can result in shorter treatment times, minimizing disruption to patients and allowing a faster return to everyday life. Furthermore, treatment is well tolerated and helps to preserve quality of life.
Most types of cancer respond well to HDR brachytherapy. At FROS we specialize in HDR brachtherapy treatments of the head and neck, cervix and breast. In fact, some cancers that were considered to be incurable only a few years ago can now be effectively controlled with this highly targeted radiation treatment.
At FROS Radiation Oncology Cyberknife Center, our team is committed to bringing leading-edge technology with highly compassionate care to our patients.
Please call us at 1-888-880-6646 today to find the right treatment for you.